| Spoiler Alert!
Warning! This page contains spoilers for The Ship of the Dead .
Ran mentions that her husband doesn't like that she collects trash and spends all his time brewing mead.
- Aegir and his wife are among the few Norse Gods to be neither Aesir, nor Vanir, and often regarded as Jotunn.
- His name Aegir means "Ocean" or "Sea"; his other names are Hler or Gymir.
- His names are thought of as pre-Norse, derived from an ancient Indo-European root.
- He is more ancient than the typical Jotunn, and will survive the Ragnarök.
- His Greco-Roman equivalents are Oceanus (as he and his wife may be more Jotunn than god), Kymopoleia, another unappreciated God of Storms, as well as Dionysus/Bacchus, in terms of alcohol and banquet.
- His nine daughters, The Billow Maidens, Heimdall's mothers, could be seen as the counterparts of Oceanids, the three thousand daughters of Oceanus and Tethys.