Aegir (also known as Hlér or Gymir) is the Norse god of the Sea, Storms, Alcohol and Banquets as well as the husband of Ran, the Norse Goddess of the Sea. He was mentioned by Ran when she was speaking with Magnus Chase.
Ran mentions that her husband doesn't like that she collects trash and spends all his time brewing mead.
- Aegir and his wife are among the few Norse Gods to be neither Aesir, nor Vanir, and often regarded as Jotunn.
- His name Aegir means "Ocean" or "Sea"; his other names are Hler or Gymir.
- His names are thought of as pre-Norse, derived from an ancient Indo-European root.
- He is more ancient than the typical Jotunn, and will survive the Ragnarök.
- His Graeco-Roman equivalents are Oceanus (as he and his wife may be more Jotunn than god), Kymopoleia, another unappreciated God of Storms, as well as Dionysus/Bacchus, in terms of alcohol and banquet.
- His nine daughters, The Billow Maidens, Heimdall's mothers, could be seen as the counterparts of Oceanids, the three thousand daughters of Oceanus and Tethys.
|Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard|
|Core Series:||The Sword of Summer | The Hammer of Thor| The Ship of the Dead|
|Main Characters:||Magnus Chase | Alex Fierro | Blitzen | Halfborn Gunderson | Hearthstone | Mallory Keen | Samirah al-Abbas | Sumarbrander | Thomas Jefferson Jr.|
|Minor Characters:||Annabeth Chase | Frederick Chase | Gunilla | Randolph Chase|
|Norse Gods:||Freya | Frey | Thor | Loki | Odin | Frigg | Ullr | Vidar | Heimdall | Sif|
|Minor Gods:||Hel | Mimir | Ran | Aegir|
|Jotnar:||Surt | Utgard-Loki | Ymir|
|Monsters:||Ratatosk | Jormungand | Fenris|