|“||Perhaps later, if I don’t have to kill you, I will share my brownie recipe.||”|
–Aphros, in The Mark of Athena
Aphros and his comrades rescue Leo, Hazel Levesque, and Frank Zhang from drowning in the ocean after they defeated the Skolopendra. He later interrogates Leo in order to figure out why they were there and whether they could trust them. He listens to Leo tell his story about their quest and in the process of listening knits a bonnet. He later agrees to send a group of mer-heroes on a quest to save the creatures trapped by Phorcys, and he gives Leo a plate of delicious brownies and the recipe so they can make it themselves. It is also mentioned that he and his brother do not want to meet Percy because of "some reasons".
Aphros is much kinder than his tough demeanor would indicate. He is a good listener and is able to tell when people are lying. Despite being one of the leaders of Camp Fish-Blood, he tends to teach more domestic talents, such as cooking, sewing, and baking.
Aphros is larger than his brother Bythos, and is a bluish color instead of green. Leo Valdez describes him as having "Arnold-as-Terminator" abs and arms, and a square, brutish head. He has a massive blue-black afro that almost covers his lobster claw horns. He wears a large "Conan-approved" sword strapped to his back, giving him an intimidating look.
- Leo questions if Aphros was named that because of his massive afro. Aphros however doesn't understand Leo's question.
- Despite his intimidating appearance, Aphros is referred to as the "home-ec" teacher by Leo .
- When describing Aphros, Leo makes two references to Arnold Schwarzenegger:
- One being how Aphros looks like the Terminator from Arnold's first big role in The Terminator, as he has very strong abs and arm muscles.
- The other being Aphros' "Conan-approved sword," a reference to Arnold's role in Conan the Barbarian.