|“||I am the darkest. Wars and strife! I have caused all manner of death!||”|
–Eris, in The House of Hades
The daughter of Nyx and Erebus, Eris was feared for her unforgiving and wrathful nature. Though despised by the Olympians, they respected her power regardless. It is Eris who drives the conflicts and disputes of both gods and men.
The Judgement of Paris
When the Nereid Thetis was married to Peleus as a reward for his undying devotion to the gods, only Eris was not invited to attend the celebrations on Olympus, as a wedding is a joyous occasion and strife would not be welcome there. Offended, she snuck into the dining hall and threw a golden apple that was inscribed: ‘For the fairest' in the midst of the gods. Every goddess claimed the fruit for themselves and the decision came down to three: Aphrodite, Athena, and Hera. Zeus was made the judge but he feared the prospect of having to judge the goddesses. Instead, he named Paris of Troy to preside over three who each tried to bribe him for the apple:
- Hera promised him rule over Asia.
- Athena would give him wisdom in battle.
- Aphrodite offered him the hand of the most beautiful woman in the world.
Paris ultimately chose Aphrodite and with her aid, he wooed Zeus' daughter, Helen and returned to Troy with her. Indignant, both Athena and Hera swore vengeance on Paris for scorning them and would play major roles in his downfall. Unfortunately for Paris, Helen was already married to King Menelaus of Sparta who initiated a series of events that would destroy not only Paris and his family but his people as well. The events that would follow are remembered as the Trojan War.
During the war, Eris rode into battle on the side of the Trojans alongside Ares and Enyo. It was at Troy that she became known as the Lady of Sorrow. In one battle, she fought in the defense of Aphrodite’s son, Aeneas but otherwise roamed the battlefield to spread bloodshed and carnage among the fighters.
Her name was mentioned when after receiving a call, Hermes redirected it to Eris at customer service, suggesting the goddess works for him.
It is mentioned that Travis and Connor Stoll pulled a prank on the Aphrodite's Cabin based on Eris's trick with the Golden Apple. They placed a Golden Mango in the cabin with the words "for the hottest" on them, leading to the cabin fighting against each other for the mango, which was only painted gold.
Eris appears with her siblings who confront Percy and Annabeth. She saw herself as the darkest of all the children of Nyx because she brings wars and strife.
She possesses the standard abilities of a goddess.
- Discord Manipulation: As the Goddess of Chaos and Discord, she has the ability to create discord and initiate conflict.
- Umbrakinesis (extent unknown): As she was one of Nyx's children who claimed to cause all darkness.
As her Roman counterpart, Discordia, she becomes more warlike and militaristic.
Eris wears a black toga, her eyes gleam, and she is descried to have a smile like a serial killer.
- Eris, the largest known dwarf planet in the solar system, is named after her.
- Eris, a genus of spiders, is named after her.
- Eris is frequently associated with Enyo, twin sister to Ares.
- The literal meaning for Eris is strife.
- In many Greek Myths, Eris was the daughter of Zeus and Hera .
- The religion Discordianism is named after her.
- The word "Discord" derives from Discordia.