Giant Eagles are large, powerfully built birds of prey, with a heavy head and beak. They are frequently seen in The Heroes of Olympus, mainly used by the Romans for transporting and protecting Roman demigods.
The Mark of Athena
They are seen hunting down the crew of the Argo II in groups, and assisting the Roman demigods as they try to capture them. Leo Valdez tries to throw the eagles of the trireme's scent by using Buford, the flying table, to create a false trail with the scent of Frank's jeans. However, this does not work and the Roman demigods from Camp Jupiter follows the crew to Charleston.
Three giant eagles deposited a Roman commando, including Octavian on the dock to confront Annabeth Chase, Piper McLean, and Hazel Levesque. The eagles continue to circle the location of the demigods, crying out and calling for reinforcements.
The eagles are very large and strong, being able to carry demigods in their talons. They are powerfully built and can sniff out demigods like monsters, but at a faster rate. They are golden colored with a large beak and head.
- Eagles are the sacred animal of Zeus/Jupiter.
- They can track demigods like monsters, but much faster.
- They are large and strong enough to hold a demigod by their talons.
- An eagle is the standard of the Twelfth Legion.
- In some Roman paintings, they are shown as three-headed giant eagles.