Hazel Levesque sees a gryphon in a cage when the group is captured by the Amazons. Later, a large group of gryphons attack the train Frank Zhang, Percy Jackson, and Hazel are traveling on. When Percy is carried away by one, Frank shoots it with an arrow, and Percy falls into the nest. Frank also uses his last charge of his spear to make Gray defend the people on the train. While in the nest, Percy holds them off by threatening to crush their eggs. They escape by hiding under a large Hyperborean giant who becomes annoyed by the gryphons and freezes them with his breath.
Gryphons are seen attacking Frank Zhang and his friends as they try to fight through the monster army on their quest to close the Doors of Death.
Britomartis is revealed to have two pet gryphons named Abelard, a male and Heloise, a female. These two were mates. Apollo and Calypso rescued the two gryphons from a zoo where Commodus had kept them captive. Heloise was carrying an egg at that time. Later, Heloise laid the egg.
During the battle between Commodus' army and the Waystation, Heloise was killed while defending her egg. Fortunately, her egg survived. Abelard was devastated by the loss of his mate.
Gryphons have the body of a lion, with the face and feet of an eagle on their front legs, beady red eyes (though some have paws), and a long, sharp beak. They also have a pair of large wings on their backs that allow them to fly.
- Gryphons can fly at high speeds.
- Their beaks, claws, and talons are extremely sharp.
- They have a sleek and stealthy design, so they are fast and sometimes hard to spot.
- Gryphons lay golden eggs and collect objects that look golden.
- Before seeing gryphons, Percy used to think that they look like lions with wings. After seeing gryphons, Percy said that they actually look more like hyenas.
- Gryphons are present in many mythologies, from Egyptian times until modern day.
- It has still continued to be a favored decorative theme in Archaic and Classical Greek art.
|Species:||Centaur | Cyclopes | Dragon | Drakon | Empousa | Fire-Breathing Horse | Giants | Gorgon | Harpy | Hyperborean Giant | Ichthyocentaur ||
|Friendly Monsters:||Argus | Blackjack | Briares | Chiron | Don | Ella | Festus | Gleeson Hedge | Gray |Grover Underwood | Hippocampus | Mellie | Mrs. O'Leary | Ophiotaurus | Peleus | Scipio | Tyson | Tempest|
|Enemy Monsters:||Agrius and Oreius | Arachne | Basilisk | Charybdis and Scylla | Chimera | Chrysaor | Clazmonian Sow | Colchis Bull | Echidna | Euryale | Geryon | Joe Bob | Kampê | | Nanette | Manticore | Medusa | Minotaur | Nemean Lion | Polyphemus | Sphinx | Stheno | Typhon | Scythian Dracanae|
|Neutral Monsters:||Carnivorous Sheep | Cerberus | Erymanthian Boar | Gray Sisters | Gorgons | Furies | Flesh-Eating Horse | Gryphon | Siren|