| Spoiler Alert!
Warning! This page contains spoilers for The Sword of Summer.
|“||Mistletoe! Can you imagine? Frigg forgot one tiny little plant. I fashioned a dart from the stuff, gave it to Balder's blind brother, a god named Hod. I didn't want him to miss the fun of chucking deadly objects at Balder, so I guided Hod's hand...well, Frigg's worst fears came true.||”|
–Loki, to Magnus Chase on how he tricked Hod.
While at the festival in which the people of Asgard would throw things at the now invincible Balder, the jealous Loki tricked Hod into through a mistletoe dart a Balder with Loki's help Hod hit Balder and inadvertently killing him, as it was Balder's only weakness.
Loki mentions to Magnus Chase that he gave Hod a mistletoe dart and guided the blind Hod's hand to kill Balder.
- He presumably has the standard powers of a god.
- Umbrakinesis: As the god of darkness, he has absolute control and divine authority over darkness.
- Cryokinesis: As the god of winter, he has absolute control and divine authority over ice and cold.
- Hod is the only known blind Norse god.
- His name Hodr means Warrior.
- His Greco-Roman equivalent in terms of abilities (Winter) would be Boreas/Aquilon and (Darkness) would be Erebus/Scotus.
|Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard|
|Core Series:||The Sword of Summer | The Hammer of Thor| The Ship of the Dead|
|Main Characters:||Magnus Chase | Alex Fierro | Blitzen | Halfborn Gunderson | Hearthstone | Mallory Keen | Samirah al-Abbas | Sumarbrander | Thomas Jefferson Jr.|
|Minor Characters:||Annabeth Chase | Frederick Chase | Gunilla | Randolph Chase|
|Norse Gods:||Freya | Frey | Thor | Loki | Odin | Frigg | Ullr | Vidar | Heimdall | Sif|
|Minor Gods:||Hel | Mimir | Ran | Aegir|
|Jotnar:||Surt | Utgard-Loki | Ymir|
|Monsters:||Ratatosk | Jormungand | Fenris|