|“||I hope you like it here, Leo. It used to be... really nice.||”|
Jake Mason is a Greek demigod, son of Hephaestus. He was the temporary head counselor for Hephaestus' cabin after Charles Beckendorf's death. He voluntarily gave up the position to Leo Valdez after Leo completed his first quest to free Hera.
Jake brainstorms with Percy Jackson, Annabeth Chase, Chiron, and the other campers in order to figure out how to defend Manhattan and the Empire State Building, which is the entrance to Olympus in the Battle of Manhattan. He fought alongside his cabin, and went to Mount Olympus when the Second Titan War was won. He was thanked by the gods, and was made the counselor of his cabin, after the former counselor, Beckendorf died from an explosion on Luke Castellan's cruise ship, Princess Andromeda.
Leo Valdez meets Jake, after he unsuccessfully tries to fix or capture Festus, the bronze automaton dragon, resulting in him being put into a full body cast. He believes that there is a curse on Cabin nine after Beckendorf died, although he gives Leo the bed of Beckendorf. He later recovers from his meeting with Festus, and is able to walk around on crutches. He resigned after Leo Valdez revealed Bunker 9 and his unusual powers, and the cabin began construction of the Argo II.
As a child of Hephaestus, he has the following abilities:
- He is an expert builder.
- Technokinesis: As the son of Hephaestus, he can manipulate machines.
- He is an expert mechanic.
- He can sense machines, mechanics, or metal.
- He can identify machinery type and use by touch.
- He can sense faults in metal ore.
- He can find and sense traps in the ground.
- Jake is the only known Head Counselor to have willingly resigned.
- His last name, Mason, is an allusion to his father, since a mason is someone who builds.