Before a camp counselor meeting begins, she plays a prank on Miranda Gardiner, counselor for Demeter's Cabin, by literally removing her nose from her face. She eventually gives it back when Chiron asks her to, because he wants to start the meeting.
Lou Ellen, along with Nico di Angelo, Will Solace, and Cecil Markowtiz, set the Romans' onagers off-course before they can fire on Camp Half-Blood. She uses her Mist-controlling magic to hide the four demigods from the Romans so they can complete the task without getting spotted, but eventually, the magic wears off and they are seen. In the process, she uses a Pig Bomb, a magical item property of Hecate cabin, and turns a number of Roman guards in to piglets. After Gaea's defeat and the wars end, Lou Ellen turned the Romans back to normal on Chiron's insistence, albeit somewhat reluctantly.
Lou's appearance is never described in detail though she, along with the other children of Hecate, may have inherited her mother's dark hair and green eyes.
- ADHD: Like most demigods, Lou possesses inborn supernatural battle reflexes and senses that she uses to analyze the fighting style of her opponent.
- Dyslexia: Her brain is 'hardwired' for Ancient Greek.
- Mystiokinesis: As a daughter of Hecate, she can cast and control magic.
- Mist Control: As a daughter of Hecate, she can control the Mist. This ability means she can alter mortals' memories and perceptions, also she can use it to summon a 'Mistform'.
- She can create illusions.
- She can create false memories.
- She can make monsters invisible or have them be seen as something else.
- She can hide locations.
- She can summon Mistforms.
- She can disguise and hide people.
- She can teleport through the Mist.
- Pig Bomb: When defending the camp from the legion, Lou Ellen uses a pig bomb to turn legionnaires into piglets. When she changes the piglets back, she does so grudgingly
- Her surname 'Ellen' means 'Torch'. This could be a reference to her mother Hecate, as her attributes are twin torches.
- The first part of her name, Lou, is a Greek name, however Ellen is not.
- It has never been stated whether or not Lou Ellen is her full name or just her first name. However, in The Lost Hero, she is referred by Jason Grace as 'Lou Ellen something-or-other', indicating that this may just be her first name.
- This theory is supported when Chiron also calls her Lou Ellen, but doesn't refer to the other Counsel members by their surname.
- Due to the translator's mistake, in the Polish version of The Lost Hero, Lou Ellen was introduced as a boy.