|“||It's our loot! If you don't like it, you can kiss my quiver!||”|
–Michael Yew to Clarisse
Michael Yew was a son of Apollo. He became the leader of his cabin following the death of Lee Fletcher. He was supposed to have died in the Second Olympian War, when Percy destroyed the bridge Michael was standing on in the Battle of Manhattan. His successor is Will Solace who is currently dating Nico di Angelo.
Michael has a smart mouth, and doesn't back down easily. He found a golden chariot and he and Clarisse fought over it until Clarisse La Rue gave up on fighting in the great war, though she changed her mind and killed the drakon. He is suspicious when he hears about the spy, and is very quick to point out disadvantages and problems on the battlefield. He works alongside Percy Jackson. Percy considers him a good friend. When they were crossing the Williamsburg Bridge, however, Michael turns up missing as Percy destroys part of the bridge to prevent Kronos from crossing. Percy searches for Michael only to find his bow, but it is unknown if his body was ever found.
When Annabeth is standing near the River Acheron, the river shows her visions of people that had died trying to save her or deaths she could have prevented. Michael Yew is one of the people she saw who died during the Battle of Manhattan.
Michael is often bad-tempered, but is a good fighter, and quick on his feet and with his mind. He has a smart mouth, and gets into fights a lot because he always seems to have a chip on his shoulder. He is a solid friend though, and stood up to the Titans, along with the rest of the camp.
Michael stands at 4'6" but "with an extra 2 feet of attitude". He is described as having musteline features, with a pointy nose and scrunched-up features - either from looking down the shaft of his arrow or from scowling too much. He has black hair and brown eyes.
- ADHD: Like most demigods, he possesses inborn supernatural battle reflexes and senses that he uses to analyze the fighting style of his opponent.
- Dyslexia: His brain is 'hardwired' for Ancient Greek.
- As the son of Apollo, he is a naturally talented archer, his skills only rivaled by the hunters.
- Vitakinesis: Michael can heal people by singing a hymn to his father in Ancient Greek.
- Since Apollo is god of music, Michael is a natural musician.
- Michael can curse other to only speak in rhyming couplets that can take days or even weeks to wear off.
- He is skilled in physical contests and games.
- Michael was the owner of the Flying Chariot until he gave it to Clarisse.
- Michael had his own bow and arrows.
- Michael was also given sonic arrows from his father that create a horribly loud sound capable of destroying nearby monsters and monsters farther away to drop their weapons and cover their ears.
- His last name, Yew, is a reference to the tree, which is a popular wood for making longbows. The tree is also associated with graveyards and the dead.
- It is never mentioned in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series if Michael died during the Battle of Manhattan, as his death is only hinted at. It isn't until The House of Hades that his death is confirmed.