| Spoiler Alert!
Warning! This page contains spoilers for The Dark Prophecy.
The Oracle of Trophonius was one of the four Oracles associated with Apollo, and probably the most dangerous of the quartet. The petitioner entering the temple would drink from both the black Fountain of Memory, Mnemosyne, and the Fountain of Forgetfulness, Lethe, in order to prepare the mind.
Assuming he or she survived the process, they would proceed to the Cave of Trophonius, containing the spirit of Trophonius, and be forced to experience untold horrors that brought forth "nightmarish verse." Assembled properly, the nightmarish verse acted as a portend to the future – albeit in the form of a sonnet.
Once the petitioner exited the cave, if not driven insane (or dead), he or she would sit on the Throne of Memory, constructed by the titaness Mnemosyne, and the verse would be recited subconsciously. The priest would write down what the petitioner had recited, which would be considered the prophecy issued by the Oracle. Without the Throne of Memory, the petitioner would be forever trapped within the horrors of the cave.
The Oracle of Trophonius is currently located in Bluespring Caverns, Bedford Indianapolis. While there, the spirit of Trophonius asks for a favor; he requests Apollo to destroy the cave, thus making the oracle inaccessible to anyone.
Trophonius mentions that the location is too exposed and that Commodus would keep sending men down. Grudgingly, Apollo agrees, which is why when he leaves the cave and encounters three Blemmyae, he makes no attempt to stop them from blowing it up.
The words that memory wrought are set to fire,
Ere new moon rises o'er the Devil's Mount.
The changeling lord shall face a challenge dire,
Till bodies fill the Tiber beyond count.
Yet southward must the sun now trace its course,
Through mazes dark to land of scorching death
To find the master of the swift white horse
And wrest from him the crossword speaker's breath.
To westward palace must the Lester go;
Demeter's daughter finds her ancient roots.
The cloven guide alone the way does know,
To walk the path in thine own enemy's boots.
When three are known and Tiber reached alive,
Tis only then Apollo starts to jive.
Unraveling The Prophecy
- Line 1 seems to refer to the Sibylline Books currently being reconstructed from Ella's memory. They may be in danger of being burned by the third emperor.
- Line 2 might refer to this event happening on the new moon. Camp Jupiter is close by Mount Diablo where Leo Valdez fought Enceladus.
- Line 3 indicates that the changeling lord is Frank Zhang who will be faced with a challenge.
- Line 4 seems to say that the Little Tiber river will fill up with corpses.
- Line 5 says Apollo must go south.
- Line 6 indicates that Apollo must go through the Labyrinth to reach some sort of desert area.
- Line 7 says that the third emperor owns a swift white horse.
- Line 8 appears to say the third emperor has control of the Oracle of Erythaea who speaks in word puzzles. Apollo must wrest him from the oracle.
- Line 9 seems to say that Apollo will go to the emperor's palace in the West.
- Line 10 seems to state that Meg McCaffrey will find out her secret origins.
- Line 11 states that Grover Underwood, a Satyr, knows how to navigate through the Labyrinth.
- Line 12 may refer to Apollo walking down the path of the Triumvirate Holdings soon.
- Lines 13 and 14 seem to indicate that once Apollo knows the three emperors of the Holdings and reaches the Little Tiber, he begins to reattain his godhood.