FANDOM


  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians is the OG series that is the reason we are all here today, lbr. First person POV of Percy. Includes Persassy. Has SoM.

    The Heroes of Olympus is the next gen. New enemies. Multiple POV's. Includes Queen Reyna. Has BoO

    Who do you think will win? Vote here.

      Loading editor
    • The Heroes of Olympus!

        Loading editor
    • HoO

        Loading editor
    • PJO for me.

        Loading editor
    • Oh, PJO, any day. 

        Loading editor
    • PJO

        Loading editor
    • Pjo

        Loading editor
      1. Conflicted.
        Loading editor
    • i'll have to go with PJO but only because of the blood of olympus which i didn't like as much as the other, otherwise i would tie them

        Loading editor
    • HOO of course

        Loading editor
    • HOO let's us explore more than just percy and his thoughts

        Loading editor
    • Princess Cardinal of the SkyWings wrote: HOO let's us explore more than just percy and his thoughts

      I know right.

        Loading editor
    • Hmm. Mebbe HoO...

        Loading editor
    • Not HoO because of the sucky finale. Characters I liked at the beginning of the series, became characters I didn't like as much at the end of the series. And wasn't really fond of any of the couples so the romance was bland for me. Frazel came close but they were still pretty boring.

        Loading editor
    • I liked BOO a little more than Sea of Monsters, so I'm still going for HOO.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, I can agree that SOM was really boring. I sometimes forget that this was an actual book in the PJO series. it was just that boring and forgettable

        Loading editor
    • MajickPizza wrote:
      Yeah, I can agree that SOM was really boring. I sometimes forget that this was an actual book in the PJO series. it was just that boring and forgettable

      I know right.

        Loading editor
    • Personally, I admired the way Rick Riordan blended humour and seriousness perfectly in the Percy Jackson series. His books after that, seem sillier and harder to read. 

        Loading editor
    • TheViralSorceress wrote: Personally, I admired the way Rick Riordan blended humour and seriousness perfectly in the Percy Jcakson series. His books after that, seem sillier and harder to read. 

      Lol, HOO is sillier and harder to read, because of Bad Boy Supreme😆

        Loading editor
    • ALL DA LADIES LUV LEO

        Loading editor
    • PJO and almost any first in the series books, Heroes of Olympus is to focused on Romance to move the plot along without mentioning romance on every other page.

        Loading editor
    • PJO. It's more focused when just on one person, plus less suspenseful cliffhangers.

        Loading editor
    • HoO

        Loading editor
    • at first I would say HoO but as the series progressed I had to switch my favorite to PJO because I really didn't love the character development as much

        Loading editor
    • TheViralSorceress wrote: Personally, I admired the way Rick Riordan blended humour and seriousness perfectly in the Percy Jcakson series. His books after that, seem sillier and harder to read. 

      I disagree. I feel like HOO was a lot more mature, darker and more serious than PJ, with still plenty of humor, but a lot less, considering the darker and edgier tone. The reason why I believe this is because Riordan wasn't afraid to put more adult and mature topics such as Nico's sexuality. To be honest it's rather rare to see this being talked and mentioned in the series w/h care and caution, while at the same time,and not being too preachy. Not only that, but HOO explores and went into deeper and more mature topics such as a hero's morality, if he'd doing the right thing, if he's truly a good person, things that weren't talked much in PJ, or at least not talked a lot like in HOO. I mean, the friendship with Percy, Annabeth, Bob and the giant are one of the most mature and unexpected relationships Riordan has ever done, up there with Nico's and Reyna's relationship, IMO. Talking about Nico and Reyna, they have one of the most humanistic and realistic friendships that Riordan has ever done, so I'm scratching my head and wondering why you think HOO is sillier. I agree the villains are definitely sillier and the ending of BOO being to lighthearted and silly, but besides that I believe HOO was less silly than PJ and took their characters and relationships more seriously. Just my 2 cents.

        Loading editor
    • ^^ you are definitely correct, and i would had gone with HOO but while BOO was not a bad book by any stretch of the word it simply felt underwhelming, and didn't reach the ridiculously high expectations that I've come to associate with Uncle Rick's books. I mean this guy managed to get someone(me) who abhorred reading to read 7 books in the span of 5 days. I simply didn't feel like BOO was to his usual standards, while TLO saw the standard and blew right passed it. But that's just me.

        Loading editor
    • I like the HoO better 

      more POVs 

        Loading editor
    • Many may disagree with me, but honestly I think that Riordan's books are becoming more and more of a political discussion than an engaging story. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as issues are able to be discussed openly in literature and it creates dialogue in society. However, it becomes a problem (as in this case) when the ranting gets in the way of the story. I mean, seriously, for the first 70-100 pages I actually found that it was a chore to read it. 

      Reading fiction is supposed to take readers out of this world and into one of their imagination, and yet Rick's new books seem to do the opposite. And while it can be argued that forcing readers to face their realities is a good thing, the fact remains that Riordan's books have never been ones to seek for serious social discussion. I may be completely off my rocker, but Riordan's mythology books are supposed to provide us with fantastic tales of encounters with gods and monsters, not the sensitive controversial topics we are confronted with in our real world.

      (And now that I come to think of it, this rant fits Magnus Chase more than HoO.)

        Loading editor
    • GalacticFNAFRunner wrote:
      PJO. It's more focused when just on one person, plus less suspenseful cliffhangers.

      What reader doesn't love cliffhangers????

        Loading editor
    • Oceanhalo12 wrote:
      GalacticFNAFRunner wrote:
      PJO. It's more focused when just on one person, plus less suspenseful cliffhangers.
      What reader doesn't love cliffhangers????

      i like cliffhangers and i like spoilers as long as they're not extremely detailed like (im just gonna do TLT):

      Percy jackson is a twelve year old boy who is a son of Poseidon the sea god. when he first gets to camp half blood, he fights the minotaur and his mother, sally jackson who can see through the mist, is taken captive by hades. Zues' master bolt gets stolen and everyone thinks its percy but its luke and then luke betrays everyone

      I like stuff like:

      Percy jackson is a 12 year old halfblood, half god half human, and gets to a camp for his own kind. on his way, he meets a monster and tries to save his mother even though he fails.

      the only reason why i like the vague stuff is because i like get a small amount of info and then trying to figure out how it ends just by guessing

        Loading editor
    • But to be honest, that cliffhanger in BoO was a really bad one.

      I like cliffhangers, they just leave the rest of it to your imagination. 

        Loading editor
    • What happens in Albania

        Loading editor
    • I'd have to go with PJO. Some of those HoO books were really just, meh. BoO especially. It's my opinion.

        Loading editor
    • to expand on my earlier statement, doesn't Heroes of Olympus seem less exciting?

      I don't know, but to me I enjoyed characters dying in the original series, it made it more powerful, Luke, Castor, the maze guy whos name I forgot, two Apollo head counselors, Pan, Beckendorf, Silena, Ethan, and Leneus. Can anyone name one good​ character who died in the Heroes of Olympus. ​And the ones above were just the ones with names, ok I get the fact that they were accomplished fighters but what about Frank, Hazel, Piper, and Leo, they were trained for at most a month and still there was no accident?

        Loading editor
    • PJO any day. Better written, fast paced and had much better side characters than the mess HoO.

      HoO was ruined by too much cheap humour. Now PJO also had a comic undercurrent but it had plenty of serious moments when required. When in the last book you could actually feel the stakes with people dying.

      HoO ending was laughably bad. The Gaints were pathetic and seemed to be nerfed for cheap laughs. All that boasting from Gaia in vain; the Titans were more badass and did more damage. Kronos would've taken over Olympus if not for Luke.

      HoO focussed more on SJWness and romance than telling a good story with high stakes.

        Loading editor
    • BrotherScanlan wrote:
      PJO any day. Better written, fast paced and had much better side characters than the mess HoO.

      HoO was ruined by too much cheap humour. Now PJO also had a comic undercurrent but it had plenty of serious moments when required. When in the last book you could actually feel the stakes with people dying.

      HoO ending was laughably bad. The Gaints were pathetic and seemed to be nerfed for cheap laughs. All that boasting from Gaia in vain; the Titans were more badass and did more damage. Kronos would've taken over Olympus if not for Luke.

      HoO focussed more on SJWness and romance than telling a good story with high stakes.

      I can't agree more. 

        Loading editor
    • HamilcarV wrote: to expand on my earlier statement, doesn't Heroes of Olympus seem less exciting?

      I don't know, but to me I enjoyed characters dying in the original series, it made it more powerful, Luke, Castor, the maze guy whos name I forgot, two Apollo head counselors, Pan, Beckendorf, Silena, Ethan, and Leneus. Can anyone name one good​ character who died in the Heroes of Olympus. ​And the ones above were just the ones with names, ok I get the fact that they were accomplished fighters but what about Frank, Hazel, Piper, and Leo, they were trained for at most a month and still there was no accident?

      Well, Leo died. Pretty sure you can call him a 'good' character. Then Skippio, Reyna's Pegasus. He probably doesn't count but whatever. Octavian died in case you were on his side and wanted to kill the Greeks.

      The few things I hate about HoO is the really dull, boring POVs like Annabeths and Franks. But atleast we're able to see how other people think instead of Percy this, Percy that, Percy Percy Percy. One other thing about HoO is at it's mostly driven by romance, which I couldn't care less about. All of the seven are dating.

      Leo-Calypso Annabeth-Percy Frank-Hazel Piper-Jason

      The last thing would be, I can't ever remember which major monster/reborn baddie/reborn goodie that they faced in each book. Unlike PJO. Somewhat. I'm always looking up 'Which book does Echo appear in?' 'Which book does Sciron appear in?' Blah blah blah. But atleast the books are thicker.

        Loading editor
    • One thing I still haven't forgiven HoO for is how Rick wrote Annabeth's POV. I think she could've and should've been much better.

        Loading editor
    • agreed. She was boring before HoO but she was even more boring during HoO

        Loading editor
    • Princess Cardinal of the SkyWings wrote:

      HamilcarV wrote: to expand on my earlier statement, doesn't Heroes of Olympus seem less exciting?

      I don't know, but to me I enjoyed characters dying in the original series, it made it more powerful, Luke, Castor, the maze guy whos name I forgot, two Apollo head counselors, Pan, Beckendorf, Silena, Ethan, and Leneus. Can anyone name one good​ character who died in the Heroes of Olympus. ​And the ones above were just the ones with names, ok I get the fact that they were accomplished fighters but what about Frank, Hazel, Piper, and Leo, they were trained for at most a month and still there was no accident?

      Well, Leo died. Pretty sure you can call him a 'good' character. Then Skippio, Reyna's Pegasus. He probably doesn't count but whatever. Octavian died in case you were on his side and wanted to kill the Greeks.

      The few things I hate about HoO is the really dull, boring POVs like Annabeths and Franks. But atleast we're able to see how other people think instead of Percy this, Percy that, Percy Percy Percy. One other thing about HoO is at it's mostly driven by romance, which I couldn't care less about. All of the seven are dating.

      Leo-Calypso Annabeth-Percy Frank-Hazel Piper-Jason

      The last thing would be, I can't ever remember which major monster/reborn baddie/reborn goodie that they faced in each book. Unlike PJO. Somewhat. I'm always looking up 'Which book does Echo appear in?' 'Which book does Sciron appear in?' Blah blah blah. But atleast the books are thicker.

      I suppose, but Leo didn't technically die, also this may seem harsh but I didn't like Octavian or Skippio, Octavian because he ruined my favoraite Roman Emperor, and Skippio was the General who defeated Hannibal, when the said general had lost all of his veterans and was basically commanding militia, but thank goodness someone else agrees with me about the too much romance thing though. Also I agree with flavoring the monsters to each book, Besides the ​Lightning Thief just looking at the books title can give a good description of what's going on and adding monsters that add to the individual books plot.

        Loading editor
    • No, Leo died. He died and came back to life. Even if he was dead for like 2 seconds, he was still dead and need the Physician's Cure to come back.

        Loading editor
    • PJO , because of some reasons (This is all my personal opinion) - In HoO the books mainly concentrated on Jason , Piper and Leo (except Son of Neptune , where they don't appear, and maybe HoH) - Piper and Leo got POVs in 4 books and Hazel and Frank got only 2 - Piper's and Jason's POVs are boring and are mostly about their romance that was built on lies. -BoO: Leo's POVs were not as good as in previous books, Percy and Annabeth were really weak and did nothing important ,only Jason , Piper and Leo fought Gaea in the end (where were the others?) and Piper used charmspeak on Gaea - Hazel and Frank didn't do anything really important in the whole series (except freeing Thanatos) Sorry for my bad grammar , English is not my main language

        Loading editor
    • Philipp 14 wrote:
      PJO , because of some reasons

      (This is all my personal opinion) - In HoO the books mainly concentrated on Jason , Piper and Leo (except Son of Neptune , where they don't appear, and maybe HoH) - Piper and Leo got POVs in 4 books and Hazel and Frank got only 2 - Piper's and Jason's POVs are boring and are mostly about their romance that was built on lies. -BoO: Leo's POVs were not as good as in previous books, Percy and Annabeth were really weak and did nothing important ,only Jason , Piper and Leo fought Gaea in the end (where were the others?) and Piper used charmspeak on Gaea - Hazel and Frank didn't do anything really important in the whole series (except freeing Thanatos) Sorry for my bad grammar , English is not my main language

      Well, from what I understand/remember (to lazy to grab book. I just ate ok?) Pretty much all Jason did against Gaea was holding Piper and I think dodging debris. by the way, your grammar is fine

        Loading editor
    • BrotherScanlan wrote: PJO any day. Better written, fast paced and had much better side characters than the mess HoO.

      HoO was ruined by too much cheap humour. Now PJO also had a comic undercurrent but it had plenty of serious moments when required. When in the last book you could actually feel the stakes with people dying.

      HoO ending was laughably bad. The Gaints were pathetic and seemed to be nerfed for cheap laughs. All that boasting from Gaia in vain; the Titans were more badass and did more damage. Kronos would've taken over Olympus if not for Luke.

      HoO focussed more on SJWness and romance than telling a good story with high stakes.

      I find part of your opinion/argument to be ridiculous. HOO was ruined because of cheap humor? That's ridiculous and blown out of proportion. Many complained and whined about HoO having to little humor, and not having to much, and from the hundreds of reviews and opinions of many Percy Jackson readers that I've read and heard, the humor in HoO was definitely not cheap (sometimes, and especially in HoO and BoO, but nowhere near the level you seem to be expressing. I feel like you're exaggerating far to much), but then again humor is subjective. HoO had plenty of dark and serious moments, which is why many consider The House of Hades to be Riordan's darkest and most serious book of the Percy Jackson universe, so I really don't know where you are getting the "HoO doesn't have many serious moments" opinion. I respect your opinion, and I think both are great series, with pros and cons, but your opinion seems to be quite biased and in favor of PJ completely. That's not a problem at all, since I loved that series as well, but at least make your opinion more balanced (and I should to as well perhaps), and not write a rant about HoO, not because it's wrong, but because we are here to debate and presents our arguments to others, and say our pros and cons of both series, instead of writing a rant that doesn't support your claims your opinion very well, and seems to be contradicting in several ways. At least present your arguments a bit better, and instead of only being subjective, why don't we be a bit more objective as well, with evidence/claims to support your reasoning, instead of just saying " I think it's better paced, better written characters, etc. Forgive me if I'm being to harsh on you, and I apologize if I was being a bit to ridiculous and pushy as well. Peace.

        Loading editor
    • i think he meant Heroes of Olympus rather than House Of Hades

        Loading editor
    • AACM12 wrote: i think he meant Heroes of Olympus rather than House Of Hades

      That was only an example. I can show you more to if you want. Most of The Son of Neptune was fairly serious. Half of The Blood of Olympus was semi-serious (Nico's and Reyna's Pov; especially Nico's. There was some really dark moments in his POV). You see, while I definitely agree there should've been more of a balance between humor and seriousness, since there were times where humor was ruining the tension or seriousness of a moment, but I definitively think HoO is much darker and serious in general than PJ, and the Chapter Titles indicates (one of the indicators) that shows how much the readers missed the typical humor of Riordan, if you see the reactions/reviews of Trials of Apollo or Magnus Chase series for example. Less humor was one of the biggest complaints in HoO.

        Loading editor
    • Princess Cardinal of the SkyWings wrote:

      HamilcarV wrote: to expand on my earlier statement, doesn't Heroes of Olympus seem less exciting?

      I don't know, but to me I enjoyed characters dying in the original series, it made it more powerful, Luke, Castor, the maze guy whos name I forgot, two Apollo head counselors, Pan, Beckendorf, Silena, Ethan, and Leneus. Can anyone name one good​ character who died in the Heroes of Olympus. ​And the ones above were just the ones with names, ok I get the fact that they were accomplished fighters but what about Frank, Hazel, Piper, and Leo, they were trained for at most a month and still there was no accident?

      Well, Leo died. Pretty sure you can call him a 'good' character. Then Skippio, Reyna's Pegasus. He probably doesn't count but whatever. Octavian died in case you were on his side and wanted to kill the Greeks.

      The few things I hate about HoO is the really dull, boring POVs like Annabeths and Franks. But atleast we're able to see how other people think instead of Percy this, Percy that, Percy Percy Percy. One other thing about HoO is at it's mostly driven by romance, which I couldn't care less about. All of the seven are dating.

      Leo-Calypso Annabeth-Percy Frank-Hazel Piper-Jason

      The last thing would be, I can't ever remember which major monster/reborn baddie/reborn goodie that they faced in each book. Unlike PJO. Somewhat. I'm always looking up 'Which book does Echo appear in?' 'Which book does Sciron appear in?' Blah blah blah. But atleast the books are thicker.

      Another thing related to HoO, I really hate that everyone is like "OH NO! OCTAVIAN KILLED PERRY!" There are a lot of bad things Octavian did. Killing an inanimate object is not one of them.

        Loading editor
    • Both the series had their share of serious deaths.

      In PJO: Castor, Lee, Yew, Backendorf, Silena.

      In HoO: Bryce, Octavian, Bob.

        Loading editor
    • who's bryce?

      edit: the guy nico killed/banished right?

        Loading editor
    • ^^yep

        Loading editor
    • Lapetus -Bob- is a Titan who didn't actually die in the same sense as everyone else, Octavian was practically the antagonist and Bryce was kind of asking for it.

      in PJO we actually see the mourning of a god for his deceased son, manipulation that's stronger than Octavian and Bryce just being jerks, Luke, and self sacrificing that actually was a sacrifice not just, "oh we may die" or somehow the entire "sacrifice" part is ruined by the said sacrificer, is that a word, having a magic item that restores death.

      I don't know, I guess I just feel that Riordan was trying to make this series more mature by adding more romantic relations between the characters and in order to do that he had to cut back on some of the more realistic parts of mythological battles.

        Loading editor
    • For PJO deaths- Bianca, Zoe

        Loading editor
    • Iapetus/Bob,Small Bob,Like all of The Hunters of Artemis!, A lot(maybe all) of the Amazons,Damasen,Scipio, Festus,Leo?, Grandma Zhang?,Halcyon/Dr. Claymore(Demigod Diaries came out during HoO so sorta...?).

        Loading editor
    • Was Grandma Zhang ever actuary confirmed dead?

        Loading editor
    • HamilcarV wrote:
      Was Grandma Zhang ever actuary confirmed dead?

      Meant to put a question mark.

        Loading editor
    • I think Grandma Zhang survived...

        Loading editor
    • i'm pretty sure it was never confirmed either way

        Loading editor
    • it was implied though

        Loading editor
    • AACM12 wrote:
      it was implied though

      Actually what was implied that she flew away to die on her own terms. Meaning, yes she survived the house fire, but only so she could go and find a better final resting place. 

        Loading editor
    • ^^true

        Loading editor
    • I am conflicted.I love them both.

        Loading editor
    • ^same

        Loading editor
    • Coolguypro777 wrote:
      I am conflicted.I love them both.

      i agree

        Loading editor
    • Leo is the coolest wrote:
      Coolguypro777 wrote:
      I am conflicted.I love them both.
      i agree

      Yeah!

        Loading editor
    • Greeks are powerful in their own way. Romans are powerful in their own way. But do you know what you get when you mix Greek and Roman? You get BAM!! I feel HoO has a greater number of interesting characters, plots and backstories.

        Loading editor
    • VishwaUser wrote: Greeks are powerful in their own way. Romans are powerful in their own way. But do you know what you get when you mix Greek and Roman? You get BAM!! I feel HoO has a greater number of interesting characters, plots and backstories.

      Hmm..That is true but I love them both so much.

        Loading editor
    • Coolguypro777 wrote:

      VishwaUser wrote: Greeks are powerful in their own way. Romans are powerful in their own way. But do you know what you get when you mix Greek and Roman? You get BAM!! I feel HoO has a greater number of interesting characters, plots and backstories.

      Hmm..That is true but I love them both so much.

      I love them both too.

        Loading editor
    • VishwaUser wrote:
      Coolguypro777 wrote:

      VishwaUser wrote: Greeks are powerful in their own way. Romans are powerful in their own way. But do you know what you get when you mix Greek and Roman? You get BAM!! I feel HoO has a greater number of interesting characters, plots and backstories.

      Hmm..That is true but I love them both so much.
      I love them both too.

      Yep.We are in agreement.

        Loading editor
    • Heroes of Olympus was really weak, especially in the finale when the Giants were killed in about 5 minutes. The Titans were much more powerful spend couldn't be destroyed with just a sword and a statue's head (like Polybotes). Gaia was also taken down too easily and didn't do enough damage. How the series was going to end was revealed pretty early too. RR failed to recapture the thrill and the magic of the PJO series and as a result, many parts of HOO were dull and even quite cringy.  

        Loading editor
    • Pro time wrote:
      Heroes of Olympus was really weak, especially in the finale when the Giants were killed in about 5 minutes. The Titans were much more powerful spend couldn't be destroyed with just a sword and a statue's head (like Polybotes). Gaia was also taken down too easily and didn't do enough damage. How the series was going to end was revealed pretty early too. RR failed to recapture the thrill and the magic of the PJO series and as a result, many parts of HOO were dull and even quite cringy.

      Yeah.The giants and Gaia in Hoo were downplayed.They were extremely weak and didn't kill much demigods.

        Loading editor
    • Also, RR introduced new characters which weren't very likeable, such as Piper

        Loading editor
    • Pro time wrote:
      Also, RR introduced new characters which weren't very likeable, such as Piper

      Ikr? Piper's POVs were so cringeworthy, lmao.

        Loading editor
    • TheViralSorceress wrote:
      Pro time wrote:
      Also, RR introduced new characters which weren't very likeable, such as Piper
      Ikr? Piper's POVs were so cringeworthy, lmao.

      Piper is really cringy.

        Loading editor
    • Coolguypro777 wrote:

      TheViralSorceress wrote:
      Pro time wrote:
      Also, RR introduced new characters which weren't very likeable, such as Piper
      Ikr? Piper's POVs were so cringeworthy, lmao.

      Piper is really cringy.

      So is her Twitter, where all her posts are just pics of Jason.

        Loading editor
    • Ea225225 wrote:

      Coolguypro777 wrote:

      TheViralSorceress wrote:
      Pro time wrote:
      Also, RR introduced new characters which weren't very likeable, such as Piper
      Ikr? Piper's POVs were so cringeworthy, lmao.
      Piper is really cringy.
      So is her Twitter, where all her posts are just pics of Jason.

      lol!

        Loading editor
    • So conflicted. I have NO idea.

        Loading editor
    • HOO - it has more characters and more adventure

        Loading editor
    • I'm just glad that Percy's a side character after getting 10 books where is a MC.

      TheViralSorceress wrote:
      Many may disagree with me, but honestly I think that Riordan's books are becoming more and more of a political discussion than an engaging story. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as issues are able to be discussed openly in literature and it creates dialogue in society. However, it becomes a problem (as in this case) when the ranting gets in the way of the story. I mean, seriously, for the first 70-100 pages I actually found that it was a chore to read it. 

      Reading fiction is supposed to take readers out of this world and into one of their imagination, and yet Rick's new books seem to do the opposite. And while it can be argued that forcing readers to face their realities is a good thing, the fact remains that Riordan's books have never been ones to seek for serious social discussion. I may be completely off my rocker, but Riordan's mythology books are supposed to provide us with fantastic tales of encounters with gods and monsters, not the sensitive controversial topics we are confronted with in our real world.

      (And now that I come to think of it, this rant fits Magnus Chase more than HoO.)

      How does Magnus Chase fit that rant? Unless you're talking about the whole Parents Are Dead Or Disapprove Of Their Child thing but I can't think of very many fiction books that I've read where 1 or more of the parents (family member) are not in some dramatic scene about them dying, about to die, dead, in trouble of some sort, etc. I think it's supposed to add some tension to the plot but it's overused. Or they just want to get the parents out of the way so their little hero can go out and save the world without anyone to hover around and stop them because it's 'too dangerous'

        Loading editor
    • Princess Cardinal of the SkyWings wrote:
      I'm just glad that Percy's a side character after getting 10 books where is a MC.
      TheViralSorceress wrote:
      Many may disagree with me, but honestly I think that Riordan's books are becoming more and more of a political discussion than an engaging story. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as issues are able to be discussed openly in literature and it creates dialogue in society. However, it becomes a problem (as in this case) when the ranting gets in the way of the story. I mean, seriously, for the first 70-100 pages I actually found that it was a chore to read it. 

      Reading fiction is supposed to take readers out of this world and into one of their imagination, and yet Rick's new books seem to do the opposite. And while it can be argued that forcing readers to face their realities is a good thing, the fact remains that Riordan's books have never been ones to seek for serious social discussion. I may be completely off my rocker, but Riordan's mythology books are supposed to provide us with fantastic tales of encounters with gods and monsters, not the sensitive controversial topics we are confronted with in our real world.

      (And now that I come to think of it, this rant fits Magnus Chase more than HoO.)

      How does Magnus Chase fit that rant? Unless you're talking about the whole Parents Are Dead Or Disapprove Of Their Child thing but I can't think of very many fiction books that I've read where 1 or more of the parents (family member) are not in some dramatic scene about them dying, about to die, dead, in trouble of some sort, etc. I think it's supposed to add some tension to the plot but it's overused. Or they just want to get the parents out of the way so their little hero can go out and save the world without anyone to hover around and stop them because it's 'too dangerous'

      Because Magnus Chase has alot of politics in it, from arranged weddings and Muslim prayers to psychologically abusive dads,elf police who are lowekey racist and a genderfluid character. Now, it doesn't much bother me, but I see where Viral is coming from.

        Loading editor
    • Oceanhalo12 wrote:
      Princess Cardinal of the SkyWings wrote:
      I'm just glad that Percy's a side character after getting 10 books where is a MC.
      TheViralSorceress wrote:
      Many may disagree with me, but honestly I think that Riordan's books are becoming more and more of a political discussion than an engaging story. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as issues are able to be discussed openly in literature and it creates dialogue in society. However, it becomes a problem (as in this case) when the ranting gets in the way of the story. I mean, seriously, for the first 70-100 pages I actually found that it was a chore to read it. 

      Reading fiction is supposed to take readers out of this world and into one of their imagination, and yet Rick's new books seem to do the opposite. And while it can be argued that forcing readers to face their realities is a good thing, the fact remains that Riordan's books have never been ones to seek for serious social discussion. I may be completely off my rocker, but Riordan's mythology books are supposed to provide us with fantastic tales of encounters with gods and monsters, not the sensitive controversial topics we are confronted with in our real world.

      (And now that I come to think of it, this rant fits Magnus Chase more than HoO.)

      How does Magnus Chase fit that rant? Unless you're talking about the whole Parents Are Dead Or Disapprove Of Their Child thing but I can't think of very many fiction books that I've read where 1 or more of the parents (family member) are not in some dramatic scene about them dying, about to die, dead, in trouble of some sort, etc. I think it's supposed to add some tension to the plot but it's overused. Or they just want to get the parents out of the way so their little hero can go out and save the world without anyone to hover around and stop them because it's 'too dangerous'

      Because Magnus Chase has alot of politics in it, from arranged weddings and Muslim prayers to psychologically abusive dads,elf police who are lowekey racist and a genderfluid character. Now, it doesn't much bother me, but I see where Viral is coming from.

      Oh wow. I completely forgot about Samirah. Cool. I get it now

        Loading editor
    • While I agree to an extent some of the political sounding occurrences in the book seem to have more to do with the actual character than political views, like a gender fluid character whos father can shapeshift and elves in many fantasy settings are definitely more racist than the police in this book especially the wood elves of middle earth.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message