|“||Right now you couldn't summon a wishbone without melting into a puddle of darkness, di Angelo. I told you, no more Underworld-y stuff, doctor's orders. You owe me at least three days of rest in the infirmary. Starting now.||”|
Will Solace is a Greek demigod, the son of Apollo and Naomi Solace. He is the current head counselor of Apollo Cabin and a prominent camp healer. He is currently in a relationship with Nico di Angelo. He is fifteen years old.
Will Solace becomes the head counselor of the Apollo cabin after his half-brother, Michael Yew, goes missing in action (assumed to be dead). He also heals Annabeth Chase after she was wounded while defending Percy Jackson.
Will fought bravely for the Olympians, and survived the battle.
Will lent Annabeth and Butch Walker the Apollo cabin's flying chariot, and was very annoyed and upset when they brought it back in ruins. When Leo Valdez was claimed by Hephaestus, Will was assigned to show Leo around camp. Will took Leo to see his cabin, told him about Percy Jackson, Charles Beckendorf, and the Second Titan War, after which he left him with the rest of his new half-siblings at the Hephaestus cabin forges.
Will was also present along with the other campers when Piper McLean was claimed by Aphrodite, and when Jason Grace was given his quest with Piper and Leo joining him. He was probably one of the archers who were about to attack Festus.
At the head counselor meeting, Will was present with the other head counselors after the end of Jason's quest. It was said that Will was absently wrapping and unwrapping an Ace bandage around his wrist.
Will Solace appears to help Nico sabotage the Onagers along with Lou Ellen and Cecil, having just finished delivering Coach Hedge's son and is eager to help in the battle. While attempting to sneak up on the Roman camp, Nico and Will have an argument, exposing their position and attracting the attention of Octavian and his most faithful soldiers.
Octavian then mocks them, saying that it is too late to save Camp Half-Blood, and orders his soldiers to fire the onagers. However, Cecil, using the distraction, had already altered the firing trajectory of the weapons and the projectiles end up colliding with themselves.
The Fifth Cohort arrives, and tell Octavian that they are now receiving orders from Reyna, not him. A split second later, Clarisse arrives with the Greeks and declares war on the Romans for firing on Camp Half-Blood. Before the two armies fight, however, Reyna arrives with the statue of Athena Parthenos and tells the Greeks and Romans to join forces and defeat Gaea's monsters.
Some days after the war has ended, Will is seen outside Nico's cabin motioning to him sternly. He started to ask Nico why he hadn't visited him when he was helping the injured to even help or say "hello" leaving Nico confused and flustered. He then orders Nico to stay for three days to help him, making "skeletal butterflies" flap in Nico's stomach. After Nico confesses to a very surprised Percy and Annabeth of his old crush on the son of Poseidon, he runs back to where Will was.
Will is first seen nursing his father after he passes out when he reaches camp and is weirded out by the fact he and his father are now the same age. He takes Apollo to the Big House where they meet Nico di Angelo and Will introduces him as his boyfriend. He is later seen at dinner explaining why Nico was sitting with them.
He is paired with Nico for the three legged death race, after which he tends to the injuries, such as reattaching Paolo's severed leg and mending Valentina's broken arm. When Apollo and Meg leave he gives them medicine for their quest.
While the Colossus Neronis attacked the camp, he, his father, Nico, and two of his siblings distract the automaton. Nico shadow travels himself and Will to a chariot and takes it. Will then takes the son of Hades to the infirmary. After the battle he tends to the worst cases of hay fever.
Will is noted as having his father's surfer-body, shaggy blond hair, and blue eyes, and having an athletic build. His appearance reminds Nico of Jason Grace according to Blood of Olympus. He typically dresses casually in a T-shirt and shorts. Rick Riordan has stated that Will is in Nico's age group, making him about 15 years old.
- ADHD: Like most demigods, he possesses inborn supernatural battle reflexes and senses that he uses to analyze the fighting style of his opponent.
- Dyslexia: His brain is 'hardwired' to Ancient Greek.
- Archery: As the son of Apollo, Will is a naturally talented archer, his skills only rivaled by the Hunters. (Although, in The Blood of Olympus, Will admits that he isn't quite as skilled in archery as the rest of his siblings, since it isn't his specialty.)
- Athletic Skills: Will is skilled in physical contests and games.
- Vitakinesis: Will can heal people by singing a hymn to his father in Ancient Greek.
- Audiokinesis: Will can make a sharp whistle-like sound that can temporarily stun his opponents, making them to clutch their ears in confusion.
- Musical Aptitude: Since Apollo is god of music, Will is a natural musician.
- Couplets Curse: Will can curse others to only speak in rhyming couplets that can take days or even weeks to wear off, as seen in The Last Olympian.
Will's relationship with Nico was never touched until The Blood of Olympus. When Nico arrives at the camp near Thalia's tree he is surprised to see Will planning on stalling the Roman camp. He told Nico he was doing this to get fresh air after helping Mellie give birth to her satyr baby boy and held Nico's hand to show how he was still nervous about helping her give birth, which "sent an electric current" down Nico's spine to his shock and he withdrew his hand. Will immediately notices Nico's condition and nags him on not using shadow traveling (or Underworld-ly stuff) anymore on his orders as a doctor. The two continue to bicker through their mission to at least make sure the onagers would not fire on Camp Half Blood. When Nico stated that he was leaving both Camp Jupiter and Half-Blood, Will became upset and demanded a reason and berated him for thinking he didn't belong, saying that Nico has a lot of friends or at least people who'd like to be his friends at camp. Another blatant hint of a possible attraction is Will asking for his company in the infirmary. When Nico confessed his feelings to Percy, he walked away towards Will. This can be seen as symbolic of Nico ultimately choosing Will over Percy. After meeting Will outside the camp, Nico remembers his arrival with Apollo at the camp years before and how Thalia had referred to him as "hot." Nico didn't understand why he'd suddenly be thinking of that moment, but it was likely an indication of his attraction to Will, as the latter is a son of Apollo, sharing many of his divine father's traits. Nico also notes that in comparison to Will, Octavian looks like a watered-down, unhealthy version of Will, without anything in him that makes a child of Apollo special.
In The Hidden Oracle it is revealed that shortly after Gaea's defeat, Nico finally comes out and confesses to Will about having a strong crush on the latter, and the two begin dating, with Will at one point affectionately referring to Nico as his boyfriend. Will's father, the former god Apollo, is completely supportive of their relationship, due to him having had several mortal boyfriends himself. They continue their playful banter with each other, and are usually seen sitting close by, holding hands. In fact, Apollo claims that Nico and Will are so cute together as a couple, that it made him feel desolate, jogging his memories of the time he had spent with his mortal boyfriend Hyacinthus, one of Apollo's two all-time favorite lovers (the other being Daphne). Nico on his part, is always ready to help and support Will, such as when he tirelessly helped him tend to wounded campers (notably Paolo Montes and Valentina Diaz). Nico also showed some jealousy when he caught Will staring at Paolo. Will stated that it was nothing and that he was merely admiring how well Paolo's arms were functioning after surgery.
Will was the one to first explain to Leo in The Lost Hero what it means to be a demigod, tell him about Percy Jackson and the Titan War, while taking him on a tour of Camp Half-Blood and the Hephaestus' Cabin. Leo considers Will "pretty cool" and the tour itself "amazing".
- His last name, Solace, may refer to the fact that his father Apollo is the god of the sun, as 'Sol' means 'sun' in Latin.
- His last name Solace also means comfort or consolation in a time of distress or sadness.
- It is also mentioned when talking to Travis and Connor Stoll in The Last Olympian he usually never stole. But it was necessary, because there were many injured campers.
- Will is the first counselor of Apollo's cabin not to die in battle and to appear in a book other than that of his introduction.
- In The Blood of Olympus, Will is shown to be able to whistle loudly enough that it causes the people around him to clutch their ears in confusion.
- Will is said to not be very good at music like most of his siblings, but more talented at healing.
- It is hinted he is also attracted to Paolo as he was staring at him. When Nico calls him out on this he states that he was merely admiring how well his arms are functioning after the surgery.
- As of The Hidden Oracle, Will is the second confirmed LGBT demigod in the series.
- Hence, Nico and Will are the first gay couple in the series.
- Nico states that Will reminds him of Jason Grace, as he had the same blond hair and blue eyes.
|The Trials of Apollo|
|Core Series:||The Hidden Oracle | The Dark Prophecy | The Burning Maze|
|Main Characters:||Apollo | Meg McCaffrey | Peaches|
|Minor Characters:||Percy Jackson | Nico di Angelo | Will Solace | Rachel Elizabeth Dare | Kayla Knowles | Austin Lake | Chiron | Valentina Diaz | Damien White | Chiara Benvenuti | Laurel Victor | Holly Victor | Billie Ng | Leo Valdez|
|Olympian Gods:||Zeus | Hera | Poseidon | Demeter | Ares | Athena | Apollo | Artemis | Hephaestus | Aphrodite | Hermes | Dionysus | Hades | Hestia|
|Minor Gods:||Nero | Iris | Persephone | Britomartis | Commodus|
|Titans:||Rhea | Calypso|
|Related Content:||Rick Riordan | Percy Jackson and the Olympians | The Heroes of Olympus | Demigods & Magicians|